Facebook recently published an article about ‘the potential’ misuse of your Facebook data by apps and websites, like Cambridge Analytica.
One has to wonder, where exactly does my data go?
The recent Facebook data breach has opened many eyes to the risks of sharing your personal information online. Companies can do a lot with your data. They can sell it to advertising agencies, use the data for themselves, or in worst case, your information could be used to sell on the dark web.
Hackers and cyber criminals can do a lot with just a few pieces of your info, so how do you protect yourself and your business?
You can Check to see if your data was compromised, but Facebook should have sent you a message if your data was compromised. Navigating privacy settings can be tricky, so here is a video from King 5 News showing you how to secure your Facebook account:
Now is A Good Time to Talk About Data Security
Here are a few tips to keep your personal and business information secure:
- Don’t give out all your personal information to any online site or over the phone.
- Make sure you have the proper business safeguards in place.
- Educate your employees about phishing scams and other cyber security techniques hackers use.
- Think before you click. If an email looks too good to be true, it probably is.
- Think before you click “Allow Permission” on any app, device, or online account.
These 5 data security steps should be practices every day. At Succurri, we can help your company understand these ideas and explain how your business can be more secure with basic cyber security principles. To learn more about data security or other services give us a call today at (206) 340-1616.